Out of the Pacific Northwest has grown a sport that is becoming more popular among BMW enthusiasts. Pro 3 racing is gaining popularity throughout Washington State, Oregon, and Idaho. The cars are modified versions of the street-legal BMW E30’s and are modified to spec in order to qualify for competitive races. These are the basic specifications for the BMW E30.
Short List of Specifications:
- BMW Body Type: 1987-1991 BMW E30 325i, 2-door or 4-door
- BMW Engine Type: Stock M20 6-cylinder (std. performance chip allowed)
- Race Tires: Toyo RA1 or RR
- Differential: OEM ratios: 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, 4.27, 4.44 and 4.45
- Wheels: 14″ & 15” diameter allowed
- Brakes: Rotors and calipers stock, aftermarket pads allowed
- ABS: Not allowed
- Suspension: Open except remote reservoir shocks not allowed
- Minimum Weight With Driver: 2,650 pounds
- Minimum Ride Height: 5 inches to the rocker panel
The idea behind the Pro3 specifications is that no driver gets an unfair advantage. When the class was created, the intentions were to create a PRO3 class that had a restrictive formula for BMW cars that were designed to emphasize driver skill-sets rather than showcasing the design and performance of the driver’s car.
Top 3 BMW Mechanics in Washington State:
- #1 KD Automotive in Redmond
- #2 Jeff’s Auto Haus in Bellevue
- #3 Fisher’s Auto Service in Kirkland
Pro 3 Race Sponsors:
Toyo Tires supply Toyo Bucks which can be redeemed for Toyo RR or even RA1 tires. Toyo Bucks are given at all ICSCC PRO3 races by an arbitrary raffle drawing. Each payout is divided in two and each half has been given to another driver. The total amount of the award depends upon the number of cars taking the green flag. Toyo awards approximately $15,000 in Toyo Bucks to PRO3 every year. That equals nearly 80 Toyo Race tires!
BMW Northwest in the end annually awards checks at $10,000 to 30 PRO3 car owners, as summarized here. BMW Northwest additionally provide $4,000 to PRO3 to pay administrative costs for printing of promotional stuff.
Best 10 $450 Checks:
Ten 450 checks will be given to the Top 10 at ICSCC year-end stage totals which take into consideration dropped races. To be eligible to be eligible for a Top 10 test, the vehicle must exhibit the necessary BMW Northwest images in most ICSCC PRO3 races that you entered throughout the season. Winners of Best 10 checks aren’t qualified for $225 overall raffle checks.
Twenty $225 General Raffle Checks:
The next set of 20 overall raffle $225 checks will be given by raffle into PRO3 owner entrances away from the Top 10. Each PRO3 race input will be eligible for the driver to get a single entry in the raffle. PRO3 automobile owners are entitled to raffle entrances of the automobile when run by a tenant.